Is this career right for me?
Do I need to be tough?
What’s it like working in prison?
Do I need experience?
A job that changes every day
You’ll become a role model, mediator, trainer, security specialist, emergency responder and mentor. Above all, it’s a challenging, rewarding job where no two days are the same.
Some of your key responsibilities will include:
- interacting with prisoners and detainees;
- helping people resolve issues and get support;
- managing health, safety, and security;
- ensuring everyone follows prison rules and regulations;
- rehabilitating prisoners and detainees and getting them job ready; and
- helping people prepare for release and reintegration into society.
Get more from your career
Corrections is a stable job with great benefits. Plus, our flexible shifts mean you can spend more time doing the things you love.
Turn lives around
Make your community safer
Learn and teach new skills
Become a great communicator
Join a supportive team
Enjoy great work benefits
What’s the role?
Award/classification: Correction Officers Agreement 2019 – Correctional Officer Training (Day Work)
Salary Range: $78,764 – $86,961*
Employment type: Permanent, shift work
Location: Prison facilities located at Risdon, Hobart, and Launceston
Hours per fortnight: 76.0 on a fully rotating roster
Annual leave: Eight weeks per annum
Applications close: Wednesday 6 December 2023 at 11:55pm AEST
* During training, salary is $57,317 per annum.
What are the requirements?
You don’t need a formal education or experience in Corrections to pursue this role. You will need to show us that you’re resilient, mature, and flexible. You’ll also need strong reading, writing, and numeracy skills, as well as some proficiency with computers.
You should be able to demonstrate skills in the following areas:
- physical fitness;
- patience; and
You’ll need to be able to read people and situations, to think critically and problem solve, to listen and communicate.
At the Department of Justice, employees are expected to act with integrity, respect, and accountability. You can explore our values here.
- physical fitness, medical suitability, and psychological characteristics appropriate to the duties of a Correctional Officer;
- pre-employment checks; and
- vaccinations against COVID-19 or an exemption granted by the Head of Agency.
Applicants with a current unrestricted driver’s licence are preferred.